Wednesday 28 October 2009

Were you watching Masterchef The Professionals?

Well I was – and I thought it was fantastic. I tuned in at some point in the early elimination stages and was riveted. At the beginning, the chefs were nervous and clumsy (not that I blame them, mind you) and struggled with some of the basic tasks they were asked to complete in a nerve-grindingly short time frame and under the hard stare of the judges. Once they got past these initial lumps and bumps though, it was really wonderful. You got a chance to see quite creative minds at play – their ideas didn’t always work and their plates were not always beautiful, but you have to give them credit for trying so hard.

I’m not sure what was more fascinating – watching the precision activity and exacting standards in Michelin starred kitchens, watching these talented pros slice and dice and whatnot with speed and finesse, or watching Gregg Wallace and Michel Roux Jr. savour and comment on all these dishes. I’m not sure what my favourite plate was – there were far too many to choose from, involving too many fabulous ingredients (game and fish galore) and too many colourful garnishes. It seems that the key is the careful balance of simplicity and complexity – great food does (usually, anyway) tend to have an elegant simplicity about it without somehow actually being simple. Does that make sense – if not, I recommend you watch this series and you will understand.

I do, however, know what my favourite moment was. The contestants were asked to prepare dishes that reminded them of their personal heroes or people who were important to them. This was a great round as they all really put their heart into it and produced some of their finest plates. Steve (the eventual winner) made a complex dessert plate based around a simple banana cake that reminded him of his mother. Michel Roux Jr. took a taste of this dessert and actually giggled and said ‘yummy’. Watching this calm, elegant and seasoned professional, who is so thoroughly infused with dynastic culinary greatness, so thoroughly enjoy something, made my night. That’s what great food is about, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment