Monday 15 March 2010

Bibi’s Cantina

I’ve lived in Glasgow for over seven years and I can only remember a handful of times when I’ve eaten a decent Mexican meal (not including own cooking – which I quite like!). I’d walked by Bibi’s Cantina a year ago and had never motivated myself to try it. But, having decided to go for lunch last Saturday, I was not disappointed.

The Cantina is located on the outskirts of the trendy part of the West end, a few minutes walk from Partick Station going away from town. The outside of the building isn’t particularly memorable, but it is bright and airy for the size of the room. The walls are plastered with the usual kitchy Mexicana pictures and illustrations, but there’s enough white paint and wall space to pull it off.

Eager to try as much as I could on the menu, my partner in crime and I, shared our food choices. Our starters were fried jalapeno peppers stuffed with soft cheese and simple nachos, nacho chips smothered in cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole and jalapeno peppers. The one piece of criticism I would give to the starters was for the nachos. While it was very tasty, with what you could tell was a very flavourful homemade salsa, the cheese wasn’t very melted and was piled in the centre of the dish rather than all over the chips. But, that wouldn’t stop me from ordering it again.

My partner’s main course was chicken burrito, while I ate the chicken fajitas. The burrito was tasty and filling, with a good mix of flavours. There was ample salsa and sour cream on it, but the side salad didn’t quite seem to match food flavours. I think a side of rice and refried beans would have really complimented the food and tied it all together, as long as it isn’t the stodgy lump that’s usually served... so perhaps the side salad was a nice change. The size of the burrito was good for a lunch, but probably not enough for a main meal at night (though we were there at lunch so hopefully a dinner portion would be larger).

My chicken fajitas were excellent. The chicken was marinated in tequila and lime juice and came served on a sizzling platter with a mix of grilled peppers, onions and chilli peppers. At first I wasn’t sure that three small tortillas would be a large enough portion size (I have big eyes when it comes to food) but actually, it was just right. There was a big serving of the usual toppings, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cheese, and was more than enough for my needs. The flavour of the chicken and vegetables was scrummy and well worth a try.

I’ll definitely go back to Bibi’s Cantina and recommend it to others – whether veggie or meat friendly. There seems to be a good mix of veggie and meaty dishes and the service is fast and friendly, and the prices very reasonable (£8.95 for a two course lunch). Since I was only there for a lunch I can’t offer any opinion on a dinner meal ... but the margarita mixing machine was spinning when I was there and I’m keen to try some. Girls night out anyone?

Bibi’s Cantina
599 Dumbarton Road, G11 6HY
Tel: 0141 579 0179
info@bibiscantina.comwww.bibiscantiina.com

No comments:

Post a Comment